I ask for your vote so I can keep working hard to ensure every Vermonter has the opportunity to succeed.
Issues that matter:
Making Vermont Affordable: We need to make sure that Vermont is an affordable place to live, raise a family, and retire. We must assure that when we spend public dollars, costs are reasonable and outcomes are effective. I am appalled that Vermont is one of the states that spends more on corrections than higher education. This means there is much more work to do.
Consumer Protection Issues: Consumers have a right to be treated fairly and easily be able to resolve their concerns. I will continue my efforts to shore up consumer rights and protections.
Civil Rights and Privacy: We cannot allow new technologies like saliva testing, license plate readers, or drones chip away at our civil rights without adequate due process and protections.
Taking Care of our Environment: We must continue our work to protect the lakes, mountains, and lands that make Vermont the beautiful picturesque state it is, and work to clean up the pollution that already exists. We must promote and develop more public transportation, and support ways Vermont can do its part in curbing climate change.
Combating Poverty: Nearly 25% of our state is living at the poverty level with 5% living in extreme poverty. Better wages, affordable housing and high quality child care; good schools; access to transportation; and affordable training and higher education are needed to help people secure good jobs to move out of poverty. When every Vermonter succeeds, we all benefit.
- Knowledgeable: I have served on the House Education, Judiciary and Judicial Retention Committees.
- Effective: Several bills I was the lead sponsor on have become enacted into law including: a bill banning life without parole sentences for juveniles in Vermont; a bill allowing minors age 16 -18 to file relief from abuse orders without parental permission; and a bill making revenge pornography a crime in Vermont.
- Recognized for my work: I was named a national Henry Toll Fellow and a Robert Thompson Eastern Leadership Fellow by the Council of State Governments. I have been endorsed by many groups including: AFT Vermont, AFL-CIO, Vermont NEA, Planned Parenthood Vermont Action Fund, Patient Choices Vermont, Sierra Club of Vermont, Vermont Conservation Voters and Vermont State Employees Association.
- Collaborative: I am dedicated to working across the aisles with Republicans, Progressives, Independents and Democrats alike to find common ground and consensus. We are there to improve life for Vermonters, not to promote partisanship. I am also a member of the National Institute of Civil Discourse, Next Generation.
- Approach: I approach being a state representative as an honor and responsibility. I do my research and think it is of paramount importance to look at the data and evidence to form my opinions and shape the work I do. Of course taking some of the stances I do are often not popular, but it’s important to me to do what is right and best for Vermont.
I am Proud to have Voted for…
- Allowing for death with dignity through the end of the life bill
- Banning the use of cell phones while driving
- Expanding solar net metering as an alternative to fossil fuels
- Labeling food/GMO I bill, since so many Vermonters want to know what is in their food
- Protecting Vermont shore lands through expanded environmental measures
- Raising Vermont’s minimum wage